Monday, September 13, 2010

Does Fake News Mislead The Public?

The reading for this week was interesting due to the fact that it is something that I can relate to. WHile reading I pulled out a few key pieces of the message being delivered. One of the points that stuck out to me was the part of the article 'No Joke'. The authors spoke about the 2004 election and the influx of young voters. The article went on to say that in the 2004 election there were more voters under 30 then this country had seen in a long time. That group of voters are also the voters who are relying on "fake news" to base opinions for their votes. The staggering fact is that 21% of these young voters came out and said that they rely on the "fake news", such as Jon Stewart's Daily Show.

This article was interesting because I personally find myself in the same demographic being written about. I was not old enough to vote in 2004, however as a registered voter now i still rely on "fake news" for my information. I just dont think daily news is entertaining enough so i dont watch it, but the comical " fake news is interesting and worth my time.

In terms of the central question of, does fake news mislead the public? i dont think it does, because it isnt necessarily fake news, it is just news with a different spin, and whats wrong with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment